University-based Summer Workshops (Residential and Commuter)
There will be three Molecular Biology of Cancer workshops, three Molecular Neuroscience workshops, two Molecular Immunology workshops and one Molecular Biology of Aging workshop held at University of California, Berkeley and University of California, San Diego during summer 2022. Molecular Biology of Cancer and Molecular Neuroscience workshops will be held 6/5-6/18 and 6/19-7/2 at UCB and 7/17-7/30 at UCSD. The Molecular Immunology workshops are 6/5-6/18 (UCB) and 7/17-7/30 (UCSD), and the Molecular Biology of Aging workshop is 6/19-7/2 at UCSD.
Students are housed in on-campus undergraduate dorms in doubles or triples, and eat in campus dining facilities. Teaching assistants/residential advisors live with the students and are available to mentor and assist the students. In addition, the camp directors are on-site 24 hours/day. Overall, we maintain a student to staff ratio that is better than the university requires. *Summer 2022 University-based workshops may require a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination, and these workshops may operate under a social distancing protocol.*
Ages 14 to 18. Roughly 9am-5pm M-F with weekend activities. Application and letter of recommendation required. See Curriculum and Apply/Finances tabs for additional information.
University of California, Berkeley
UC-Berkeley is one of the world’s premier research universities, with 13 Nobel laureates on the current faculty and academic programs consistently ranked in the top-10 nationally. Located outside of San Francisco, UC-Berkeley was recently named the 3rd best university in the world.
University of California, San Diego
Located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in La Jolla, UCSD ranks 5th in the US in research funding and it was named the world’s 14th best university. Sixteen Nobel Laureates have been affiliated with the school, and its undergraduate programs, medical school and graduate school are ranked among the best in the country.
Other Summer Workshops (Online and Commuter-Only)
Summer Commuter-Only Workshops:
There are two limited-enrollment, laboratory-intensive Biomedical Research workshops held at our facility in Alameda, CA. These commuter-only workshops are held 7/6-7/16 and 8/3-8/13.
Ages 14-18. Roughly 9am-5pm M-F with some weekend activities. Application and letter of recommendation required. See Curriculum and Apply/Finances tabs for additional information.
Summer Online Workshops:
1. Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Medicine – 6/6-6/17 (AM or PM), 2 hr/day M-F. Ages 11-18.
2. Medicinal Chemistry – 6/20-7/1 (AM or PM), 3 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
3. Medical Bioinformatics – 7/5-7/15 and 8/1-8/12, 5.5 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
All online workshops require an application but no letter of recommendation.
Winter Break and Spring Online and Commuter Workshops:
1. There is an abbreviated version of the Biomedical Research workshop during winter break (12/26-12/31). This workshop (commuter-only) is held at our facility in San Jose, CA.
2. The Medical Bioinformatics workshop and the Medicinal Chemistry workshops will be held online during winter break (12-26-12/30, approximately 6 hrs/day PST).
3. The Emerging Pathogenic Viruses workshop (3 hrs/day, afternoon/evening PST, online) is 3/14-3/25.
4. The Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Medicine workshop (2 hrs/day, afternoon/evening PST, online) is 3/28-4/8.
All Winter/Spring workshops require an application but no letter of recommendation.