University-based Summer Workshops (Residential and Commuter)
There will be two Molecular Biology of Cancer workshops, two Molecular Neuroscience workshops, and one Molecular Biology of Aging workshop held at the University of San Diego during summer 2021. Molecular Biology of Cancer and Molecular Neuroscience workshops will be held 6/20-7/3 and 7/11-7/24, and the Molecular Biology of Aging workshop is 6/20-7/3.
Students are housed in on-campus undergraduate dorms in doubles or triples, and eat in campus dining facilities. Teaching assistants/residential advisors live with the students and are available to mentor and assist the students. In addition, the camp directors are on-site 24 hours/day. Overall, we maintain a student to staff ratio that is better than the university requires. *Summer 2021 University-based workshops may require a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination, and these workshops may operate under a social distancing protocol.*
Ages 14 to 18. Roughly 9am-5pm M-F with weekend activities. Application and letter of recommendation required. See Curriculum and Apply/Finances tabs for additional information.
University of San Diego
Perched on a mesa overlooking San Diego, Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean, the University of San Diego’s Spanish Renaissance architecture and tropical landscaping make it one of the most beautiful college campuses in the world. USD is a doctoral university boasting 41 graduate programs and 91st rank among national universities.
Other Summer Workshops (Online and Commuter-Only)
Summer Commuter-Only Workshops:
There are a series of limited-enrollment, laboratory-intensive workshops held at our facility in Berkeley, CA. These workshops include Cancer Research (6/21-7/2), Immunology Research 7/12-7/23, and two sessions of Biomedical Research (7/28-8/7 and 8/9-8/19).
Ages 14-18. Roughly 9am-5pm M-F with some weekend activities. Application and letter of recommendation required. See Curriculum and Apply/Finances tabs for additional information.
Summer Online Workshops:
1. Molecular Biology of Cancer (online version) – 6/6-6/18, 5 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
2. Molecular Neuroscience (online version) – 6/6-6/18, 5 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
3. Molecular Immunology (online version) – 6/6-6/18, 5 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
4. Medicinal Chemistry – 6/21-7/2, 3 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
5. Medical Bioinformatics – 7/5-7/16 and 8/2-8/13, 5 hours/day M-F. Ages 13-18.
6. Covid-19: Biology, Immunity, Medicine – 7/19-7/30, 3-6pm PT M-F. Ages 13-18.
7. Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Medicine – 7/19-7/30, 2 hr/day M-F. Ages 11-18.
All online workshops require an application but no letter of recommendation.
Fall/Winter/Spring Online and Commuter Workshops:
1. The Emerging Pathogenic Viruses workshop (3 hrs/day, afternoon/evening PST, online) 11/29-12/10.
2. There is an abbreviated version of the Biomedical Research workshop during winter break (12/26-12/31). This workshop (commuter-only) is held at our facility in Alameda, CA.
3. The Medical Bioinformatics workshop and the Medicinal Chemistry workshops will be held online during winter break (12-26-12/30).
4. The Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Medicine workshop (2 hrs/day, afternoon/evening PT, online) is 3/28-4/8.
All Fall/Winter/Spring workshops require an application but no letter of recommendation.